|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Sunnyside, Charleston County (off Peter’s Point Rd., Edisto Island)
|Facade||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Left Elevation||Cupola Detail|
|Main Entrance|| Outbuilding
|Outbuilding||Outbuilding|| Tabby Cotton
(Townsend Mikell House) Sunnyside, constructed between 1870 and 1880 by Townsend Mikell, son of Isaac Jenkins Mikell of Peter’s Point Plantation, is significant as one of the few remaining, relatively intact, immediate post-Civil War sea island cotton plantations on Edisto. Sunnyside is a one-and-one-half story weatherboard-clad, rectangular plan, mansard roof residence surmounted by a glassed cupola with flared eaves. A seven-bay, one-story, hipped roof porch extends fully across the fašade and wraps both side elevations. The roof is supported by chamfered posts and has a slat balustrade. A boxed cornice with paired brackets comprises the eaves at both the porch and main roof. There are several outlying buildings and the tabby foundation of a cotton gin adjacent to the house. Directly behind the house are two small, rectangular, one-story, gable roof, weatherboard-clad outbuildings that were probably the quarters of house servants. There is also a long, rectangular, weatherboard-clad, one-and-one-half story barn. The Sunnyside Plantation Foreman’s House was added to the original nomination. The house faces east toward the unpaved lane that leads north to the small island on which Sunnyside Plantation house is located. It is a two-story, weatherboard-clad, frame residence, with a front gable roof clad in V-crimped metal, and a two-tier porch at the south elevation. The first level of the fašade is sided with rough, circular sawn wide weatherboards. The low foundation rests on a mixture of brick and wood piers, with a cement slab foundation at the front porch. A small one-by-one bay gable roofed structure has been attached to the rear elevation, and there is a one-story shed roofed addition along the right elevation. Listed in the National Register November 28, 1986; Boundary increase February 4, 1994.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Edisto Island, ca. 1682 - ca. 1898 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the boundary increase of this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.