South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Point of Pines Slave Cabin, Charleston County (Point of Pines Rd., Edisto Island)
S1081771014401 S1081771014402 S1081771014403 S1081771014404 S1081771014405
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation Left Rear
S1081771014406 S1081771014407      
Left Elevation Interior

Point of Pines Plantation Slave Cabin, Point of Pines Rd., Edisto Island The Point of Pines Plantation Slave Cabin is one of the few remaining slave dwellings on Edisto Island. The cabin dates from the first half of the nineteenth century and was once part of a slave street on a sea island cotton plantation. Most of the other cabins in the row did not survive past the 1930s and 1940s. The antebellum owner of the cabin has not been documented. The slave cabin is a one-story, rectangular, weatherboard clad building with a side gable roof which also acts as the overhanging porch roof. There is a single, exterior brick chimney on the west elevation. A rear, shed appendage has been added and the entire building rests on a low brick-pier foundation. Listed in the National Register November 28, 1986. The Point of Pines Plantation Slave Cabin is no longer extant. Removed from the National Register October 23, 2013.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Edisto Island, ca. 1682 - ca. 1898 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.