South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Oak Island, Charleston County (Oak Island Rd., Edisto Island)
S1081771014301 S1081771014302 S1081771014303 S1081771014304 S1081771014305
Facade Right Elevation Rear Elevation Left Elevation Main Entrance
S1081771014306 S1081771014307 S1081771014308 S1081771014309 S1081771014310
Entrance
Left Elevation
Window Detail Interior
Mantel
Interior
Door Surround
Interior
Staircase

(William Seabrook, Jr. House) Oak Island, built ca. 1828-31 by William Seabrook, Jr., is significant architecturally and agriculturally as a remaining example of the large antebellum plantation houses on Edisto Island associated with the wealth attained through the production of sea island cotton. Oak Island is a two-and-one-half story, rectangular plan (with projecting two- story rear pavilion), central-hall, frame, weatherboard-clad residence. The gable-end roof is pierced at the rear slope by two, massive, interior chimneys with heavily corbelled caps and necking. The front roof slope has three, symmetrically-placed, gabled dormers. A one-story, six bay, hipped roof porch extends fully across the fašade and wraps around the right elevation another five bays. Plain wooden columns support the porch roof; there is a plain balustrade between the columns. The gable ends are pedimented with a flushboard tympanum and two, quarter round windows with fixed shutters. The house was named for the grove of trees around it. The lawns encircling the house in the antebellum period occupied acres, which camellias of every then known species, 1,500 varieties of roses, an apiary and a fish pond in the middle of which there was a latticed house covered with roses. This park-like environment was in 1860, the year of William Seabrook, Jr.’s death, at the center of a 405-acre plantation, on which there belonged 174 slaves. There are no remaining outbuildings or garden buildings extant. Listed in the National Register November 28, 1986.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Edisto Island, ca. 1682 - ca. 1898 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.