|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Long Point Plantation, Charleston County (Address Restricted)
The Long Point Plantation is significant primarily because of its historical and archaeological research potential. Long Point Plantation offers an opportunity to study a small, nucleated plantation settlement. The plantation was built sometime between 1719 and 1763, but “comes of age” under the control of the Venning family during the nineteenth century. The plantation was originally obtained by James Allen in 1719 and the plantation house and structures were probably built either by James Allen or his son, James Allen, Jr., prior to 1763. The plantation was purchased by the Vennings, a prominent and wealthy Christ Church Parish clan, in 1800 and was held by that family until 1899. The plantation, which is believed to have contained a small cluster of structures located within the parameters of this site, was economically oriented, through time, toward livestock, cotton, and finally subsistence crops. There is little historical information concerning the plantation’s appearance prior to the 1902 Coast and Geodetic Survey Map of Charleston Harbor and Vicinity. The main house and five smaller structures are shown enclosed by a yard fence, with the access road coming from the east. One small, brick structure is still standing at the site. Listed in the National Register March 20, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.