|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Boone Hall Plantation, Charleston County
(Long Point Road, off U.S. Hwy. 17, Mount Pleasant vicinity)
|Slave Street||Slave Cabin||Smokehouse||Allee|| Plantation
|Gin House||Stable||Tractor Barn||Corn Crib|| Office/
Boone Hall Plantation was developed in several stages from the late seventeenth century through mid-twentieth century by the Boone, Horlbeck, and Stone families, as well as others. It retains a slave street, smokehouse, oak allee, and pecan groves that date from the occupancy of the Boones and Horlbecks; an antebellum cotton ginhouse also dating from that period, modified by the Stones; and a brick manor house (ca. 1936) with formal garden, two ca. 1935 frame residences, an office/commissary, and a barn complex from the Stones’ occupancy. The house is a two-and-one half story masonry building with a brick exterior in the Colonial Revival style. The ensemble of intact antebellum properties, later nineteenth century elements, twentieth century residences and service buildings effectively conveys the post-Reconstruction era of land use in the Lowcountry. Thomas Stone’s house and related structures and landscape are significant for their association with the trend of wealthy northerners acquiring former plantations in the South and converting them for new agricultural enterprises or second homes for winter recreation. The Slave Street, Smokehouse and Allee are those elements of the plantation that effectively convey aspects of the history of the property from the mid-eighteenth to the mid-nineteenth century. The slave street, one of the few surviving such streets in South Carolina, is a good example of the nature of slave housing in the antebellum plantations of the state. The allee is a significant work of antebellum landscape architecture. Additionally, some of the brick slave houses and the brick smokehouse on the property embody the distinctive characteristics of eighteenth and early nineteenth century brick masonry in South Carolina. Listed in the National Register July 14, 1983; Boundary increase January 21, 1994.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the Slave Street, Smokehouse, and Alee of this National Register property.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the boundary increase including the Plantation House and Historic Landscape of this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.