|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Farmfield Plantation House, Charleston County (Farmfield Rd., Charleston)
|Facade, 2007|| Right Oblique
| Left Oblique
| Left Elevation
Farmfield Plantation House is a two-and-one half story frame residence built in 1854 for William Ravenel, a prominent Charleston businessman and banker. It is significant as a largely unaltered antebellum plantation house, one of the few in St. Andrew’s Parish which survived the Civil War. It is situated at the end of a live oak avenue, overlooking Wappoo Creek. The plantation has been subdivided for later housing developments, and the interior of the house has been modified at various times, but the house and immediate environment retain integrity from the time of William Ravenel. The house has a heavy timber braced frame, a high brick pier foundation, weatherboard siding, and a gable roof. The house has a longitudinal plan with its primary entrance beneath the gable end, a composition reflective of the Greek Revival temple format but distinct from the ubiquitous transverse-hall plan of South Carolina farmhouses. The fašade is five bays wide with a one story Doric portico sheltering the entrance. Listed in the National Register October 29, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.