|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Battery Wilkes, Charleston County (St. Andrew’s Parish)
|Parapet and Magazine|
Battery Wilkes was constructed in 1862 to protect the crossing of the road and the Charleston-Savannah railroad at Long Branch Creek. As a part of the western exterior defense line, there were originally two additional positions bearing the same name, one on the south side of the road and another bearing on the Stono River. Battery Wilkes, named after the owner of the site where it was constructed, was still armed at the close of the war. The battery is important as one of two St. Andrew’s Parish batteries which remain largely unaltered and represent the best examples of the exterior defense line defending the western approach to Charleston. This small earthwork has a parapet of approximately ten feet with two gun platforms and a powder magazine about fifteen feet in height. Although originally an enclosed battery, Battery Wilkes is now in a residential yard and has undergone some alteration. A driveway now runs between the parapet and the magazine, and a low brick retaining wall spans the front face of the parapet. Listed in the National Register October 21, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Civil War Defenses of Charleston, 1861-1865 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.