|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Battery Cheves, Charleston County (Ft. Johnson Estates, James Island)
|Parapet||Map of Fortification|
Battery Cheves was built in 1863 and named for Capt. Langdon Cheves, Confederate engineer killed at Morris Island in 1863. This battery was designed to protect the area between Fort Johnson and Battery Haskell from amphibious attack coming from Morris Island. Cheves mounted two pieces of heavy artillery at the time of capture. Battery Cheves is located on the southeastern shore of James Island in a suburban residential area. A simple open battery with four gun emplacements, Battery Cheves is about 280 feel long with a parapet 12.5 feet high and a powder magazine about 15 feet high. The total position is approximately 240 feet deep. It is currently completely obscured by a dense growth of vegetation. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Civil War Defenses of Charleston, 1861-1865 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.