|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Battery Tynes, Charleston County (overlooking Stono River, James Island)
|Ditch and Parapet||Map of Earthwork|
Named after Sergeant Tynes, Lucas Battalion, Regular Artillery (killed on Morris Island 1863), Battery Tynes was constructed in 1863 to deny Union naval forces access to the upper Stono River. It also protected the bridge from James Island to John’s Island. As an element of the western James Island defenses, Battery Tynes supplemented the capabilities of Fort Pemberton and prevented enfilading fire into nearby Fort Pringle. The battery is an earthen redan overlooking the Stono River at Newtown Creek, and has a combined face length of approximately 320 feet and a total depth of approximately 180 feet. The parapet base is approximately 20 feet with a stepped parapet height of 10 to 20 feet. The magazine and bombproof is approximately 15 feet high. Battery Tynes features five gun emplacements, although only four artillery pieces were mounted at the time of capture. It is covered with a heavy growth of trees and vegetation. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Civil War Defenses of Charleston, 1861-1865 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.