|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Battery #5, Charleston County (Riverland Dr., James Island)
| Gun Platform
|Parapet|| Map of
Like its sister batteries, LeRoy and Battery Number 1, Battery Number 5 was part of Beauregard’s James Island Siege Line built in 1863 to replace General J.C. Pemberton’s faulty defense line. As part of this important siege line, Battery Number 5 was designed to protect against an infantry attack via the Secessionville region of southern James Island. Battery Number 5 also supplemented the firepower of the Secessionville batteries and was kept in good order, mounting four guns in 1865. Battery Number 5 is the eastern terminus of the James Island Siege Line. It overlooks Seaside Creek and Secessionville on the southern edge of James Island. The battery is an earth redan with its right and left faces measuring about 200 feet and the center face about 100 feet. The parapet is approximately 10 feet high. The powder magazine has been destroyed. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Civil War Defenses of Charleston, 1861-1865 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.