South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Battery #1, Charleston County (Riverland Dr., James Island)
S1081771012101 S1081771012102 S1081771012103
Magazine Embrasures Map of

Battery Number 1 was constructed as an element of the James Island Siege Line in 1863. Under the direction of General P.G.T. Beauregard, the new James Island Siege Line replaced the long, poorly designed defensive line created by General Pemberton. This position is important since it was a key in the defense of James Island and was the scene of heavy fighting. At the close of the war, Battery Number 1 was armed with five pieces of artillery. The battery is an earth redan approximately 400 yards from Battery LeRoy on the James Island Siege Line. The seven-gun battery is on the western portion of the line which runs from behind Secessionville on the east to Fort Pringle on the west. Battery Number 1 is about 15 feet high at the parapet with a powder magazine about 20 feet high. The right face is about 240 feet, the center face approximately 160 feet, and the left face 280 feet in length. Both the right and left faces were connected to an indented line continuing to the next battery. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Civil War Defenses of Charleston, 1861-1865 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.