|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Battery LeRoy, Charleston County (Riverland Dr., James Island)
|Site|| Map of
Battery LeRoy was built in 1863 as part of General Beauregard’s siege line, which replaced the earlier defensive line of General Pemberton. Designed to protect lower James Island from land and naval attack as part of the siege line, it also protected Fort Pringle’s flank and was the scene of heavy fighting. Battery LeRoy was an important link in the lower James Island defensive line and mounted four guns at its capture in 1865. Battery LeRoy is located on western James Island in a rural agricultural setting near the Stono River. Part of the James Island Seige Line, this earth redan measures approximately 340 feet on its right face, 140 feet on the center face and 160 feet on the left face. The parapet is about 15 feet high with the magazine slightly higher. Battery LeRoy is about 400 yards east of Fort Pringle and 350 yards west of Battery Number 1. It is covered with heavy secondary vegetation. Listed in the National Register August 11, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Civil War Defenses of Charleston, 1861-1865 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.