South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Edisto Island Baptist Church, Charleston County (S.C. Hwy. 174, Edisto Island)
S1081771011701 S1081771011702 S1081771011703 S1081771011704 S1081771011705
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Rear
Oblique
Rear Elevation
S1081771011706 S1081771011707 S1081771011708    
Left Rear
Oblique
Left Elevation Left Oblique

Edisto Island Baptist Church was built in 1818 through the efforts of one woman, Hepzibah Jenkins Townsend. The church is also architecturally significant because the 1818 church core with its tabby foundation and recessed panel slave gallery is still intact. In addition, it is significant in African American history because it has operated continuously as a black church since the trustees turned the church over to the faithful black members after the Civil War. The original portion of the church was square in plan and supported by a tabby foundation. The two-story church is sheathed in beaded weatherboard and had a medium pitched gable roof whose ridge ran longitudinally, perpendicular to the fašade. Pedimented gable ends graced the fašade (southwest) and the rear elevation (northwest). The original fašade, which was removed and re-erected as the fašade of the ca. 1865 addition, which doubled its size, had three bays. Around 1880 a two-story pedimented portico was added to the fašade. In the first quarter of the twentieth century two small, one-story, gable roofed restrooms sheathed in shiplap siding were added to the rear of the church. Adjacent to the church is a baptismal pool, also of tabby construction. The pool might date as early as the construction of the church, although this has not been documented. Listed in the National Register April 1, 1982.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.