|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Seaside Plantation House, Charleston County (off S.C. Hwy. 174, Edisto Island)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|
|Main Entrance|| Interior
(Locksley Hall) Seaside Plantation House is located in a rural agricultural setting on Edisto Island. It is the only brick Federal plantation house remaining on the island. William Edings, a planter of sea island cotton, purchased the Seaside Plantation property in 1802; stylistic and structural evidence indicate that the house was built ca. 1810. The Edings were a prominent family of Edisto planters. Edings son, also William, was also a member of the State Legislature from 1856-57. Reelected for a second term in 1858, he died before taking his seat. Architecturally, the two-and-one-half story residence is significant as an example of the Federal style. The house is similar to the Charleston “single” house plan, being one room deep with a long porch across the southeast elevation. The house rests on a raised basement. The central portion of the house is stuccoed brick with frame additions on the first floor. The gable roof now covered with metal originally had cypress shingles. There are two interior end chimneys with corbeled caps and two gabled dormers with gable ends which reflect the boxed cornices of the main house. The interior features Federal decoration on the mantels, chair rails and ceiling molding, but of a simple character. Listed in the National Register January 21, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.