|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cape Romain Lighthouses, Charleston County (Lighthouse Island, McClellanville vicinity)
|1827 Tower||1857 Lighthouse||Overview|
Lighthouse Island, historically know as Racoon Key, in the Cape Romain Wildlife Refuge, is the site of two lighthouses built in 1827 and 1857 by the United States Government. Constructed to warn shipping traffic of the Cape Romain shoals nine miles southeast of the island, the beacons provided constant protection, with the exception of the Civil War period, from 1827-1947. The lighthouses are significant for their major role in navigation and transportation in Charleston County and for their unique designs. The 1827 lighthouse was a sixty-five foot conical brick tower painted black and white for daytime visibility. The focal plane was 87.5 feet above sea level and the beam was visible for 18 miles. The second lighthouse, built in 1857, was a 150 foot octagonal, pyramidal tower with a focal plane of 161 feet above sea level. The first order Fresnel lens system cast a beam visible for nineteen miles. Originally natural brick, the tower was later painted with the bottom half white and the top half black and white for daytime use. The interior features an iron spiral staircase leading to the lamp house. The lamp house retains its revolving lamp platform, exterior balcony with iron railing and circular brass roof. Keepers’ residences and other support buildings associated with the later lighthouse were destroyed in 1947 when the lighthouse was last lit. Listed in the National Register November 12, 1981.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.