South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

The Wedge, Charleston County (McClellanville vicinity)
S1081771011201 S1081771011202
Facade Right Elevation

Constructed ca. 1830, this two-and-one-half story Federal style house with Neo-Classical details was built by William Lucas, a wealthy rice planter. The house is significant for its architectural merit as a late Federal plantation residence. The Wedge is rectangular in shape, of frame construction, retaining a gable roof with two ridge straddle chimneys, slate shingles, and three slender dormer windows with six over six sashes. Fenestration of the five-bay fašade is nine-over-nine with fixed upper sashes. Paneled shutters employ strap hinges and shutter stays. On the second story a transom fanlight crowns a French door which leads out onto the balcony decorated with four wooden urns. Individual balusters are unturned, though the main supports are fashioned as small columns. The cornice of the portico projects beyond the unembellished frieze and the dentiled architrave. The entablature is supported by four fluted and necked Doric columns, joined by a simple guardrail. The main entrance is trabeated with a repetition of the transom fanlight. A horseshoe stair of granite steps and iron railing gives access to the porch, while a semicircular arched entrance way leads to the English basement. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.