|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Barnwell House, Charleston County (on Pon Pon River, Parker’s Ferry vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique|
(Prospect Hill Plantation) The Barnwell House on Prospect Hill Plantation was built by Edward Barnwell III in 1878. The Barnwell House is architecturally significant as a late nineteenth century house designed to retain the ambiance of antebellum grandeur while conforming to the reality of post-war economic conditions. It was the last home of its builder Edward Barnwell, whose combined talents for business and agriculture, along with an enviable resourcefulness, allowed him to achieve fortunes in both worlds which spanned his adult life. The house is essentially two houses, the front or main portion dating from 1878 and the rear section from early to mid-nineteenth century. The main part of the house is a rectangular two and one-half story building. The lower story is brick, three courses thick, faced with stucco and scored to resemble stone. The upper story is sheathed in weatherboard atop a plain frame belt course. The medium pitched gable roof is covered with metal, the ridge being parallel to the fašade. Two interior chimneys project from the roof’s west slope. The fašade has a one-story portico with a bell cast hip roof supported by two solid Doric columns with fluted shafts. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.