|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lowndes Grove, Charleston County (260 St. Margaret St., Charleston)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation|| Left Rear
|Left Elevation||Left Oblique|| View of Ashley River
| First Floor
(The Grove; Grove Farm) Built ca. 1786, Lowndes Grove is a one and one-half story frame structure set upon a raised stucco-over-brick basement. Probably originally built in the Georgian mode, the structure has been altered through the years. Despite these alterations, the structure is valuable architecturally, chronicling various changes in architectural design. At one time the home of U.S. Congressmen William Lowndes, it later played an important role in the South Carolina Interstate and West Indies Exposition of 1901-02. Although the original appearance of the front fašade is not definitely known, the structure probably featured a double portico. This portico appears to have been altered ca. 1830 into the present five-bayed piazza which features Doric columns and balustrades with turned balusters. The lower level of the portico features five Gothic-style bays which were glazed ca. 1900. An entablature surrounds the house and pediment with dentil and modillion blocks. During the 1830s the house was enlarged to the rear. The hipped roof was covered with terra cotta tiles ca. 1920 and features two interior chimneys with corbeled caps. Surrounding the house is a lawn with large trees and a winding drive. Located to the rear of the property is an outbuilding, probably built ca. 1920. Located next to the Ashley River, the acreage is landscaped with numerous live oaks. Listed in the National Register August 30, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.