|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Grove Plantation, Charleston County (off S.C. Hwy. 174, Adams Run vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation||Left Elevation|
The Grove Plantation, a late Federal-style structure featuring polygonal rooms, was built ca. 1828 by George Washington Morris. After Morris’ death ca. 1857, the plantation became the property of John Berkeley Grimball, a planter and member of the South Carolina Senate. The Grove is an excellent example of the later Federal period house in the lowcountry. Basically a raised cottage configuration, the house incorporates unusual feature of polygonal rooms with projecting symmetrical polygonal bays into its plan. Equally refined proportions are found in the slender Doric polygonal columns of the hexastyle piazza, the acanthus leaf embellishments of the mantels, and the dentated moldings of the cornices. Various alterations such as the curved staircase and the enclosed ends of the north piazza have been sympathetic to the original design of the house. The house is surrounded by a large lawn which includes numerous live oaks. Immediately to the east are several outbuildings of an undetermined age which have been converted into residences and guest cottages. Listed in the National Register August 25, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.