|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
John Seabrook Plantation Bridge, Charleston County (S.C. Hwy. 700, Rockville vicinity)
|Bridge Arch||Masonry Detail|
(Admiral George Palmer’s Bridge) Ca. 1782, John Seabrook built a ferry and stagecoach tavern on his property at the banks of Leadenwah Creek; a highway to this landing was constructed about the same time, allowing the tavern and its landing to become an integral part of the transportation system which connected the city of Charleston with the coastal islands. An arched bridge structure was the means by which the highway crossed the draw. The bridge is one of only two brick bridges in the Charleston area known to be built before the Civil War. The bridge is constructed of brick veneer in American bond enclosing a fill mixture of crushed oyster shells and rammed earth. The original road was probably surfaced with a crushed shell compound. The road was probably used for the commercial transportation of rice and indigo from plantation to market through the first quarter of the nineteenth century. By that time, the importance of these plantations on the sea islands was sharply declining and, as a result, road and bridge slowly fell into disuse. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.