|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Paul Pritchard Shipyard, Charleston County (Address Restricted)
|Site view to the South||Pylons at Site|
(State Shipyard; Rose’s Shipyard; Begbie & Manson’s Shipyard) This unspoiled site is one of the first shipyards in South Carolina. It was granted to George Dearsley, a Lord Proprietor’s deputy, and was in operation as early as 1702, or earlier. The shipyard, under Dearsley’s ownership and operation, is the only pinpointed site of an attack made during the French and Spanish invasion of 1706, for in that year the invaders burned two of his ships and his warehouse. The shipyard passed through several owners before coming into the hands of the outstanding shipbuilders John Rose and James Steward. In 1778 Paul Pritchard acquired the shipyard just in time for it to be sold to the commissioners of the South Carolina Navy later that same year. It is therefore the site of South Carolina’s only state shipyard, having been acquired to convert merchant ships into men of war during the Revolution. After the Revolution, it was sold back to Pritchard who with his son operated it until 1831. The shipyard was sold for debt in 1831 and never operated again. Listed in the National Register September 17, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.