|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
McLeod Plantation, Charleston County (James Island)
|Facade||Rear Elevation||Slave Cabins||Slave Cabins||Slave Cabin|
Constructed in 1858 by William McLeod, McLeod Plantation has remained in the family since it was built and is still a functioning agricultural enterprise. The oak-line drive to the house recalls the antebellum period, the vestiges of which are fast disappearing on James Island, owing to commercial and suburban development. The plantation still retains many aspects of nineteenth century rural life including five clapboard slave cabins, an additional kitchen/bedroom cabin, indigenous gardens, interesting landscaping, fields, and evidences of Union occupation during the Civil War; there is also an Indian village site on the grounds. The plantation house, built ca. 1858, is a raised two-story clapboard structure with giant order pedimented tetrastyle Roman Doric portico and pilasters at the returns. The present front of the structure was originally the rear; the current portico, constructed in 1926, is supported by a concrete base and is reached by a flight of concrete steps. An intercolumnar balustrade encloses it. The original front porch fašade, however, retains all of its original charm and symmetry. Listed in the National Register August 13, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.