|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, Charleston County (83 Broad St., Charleston)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique|| Left Elevation
| Left Rear
By virtue of its location on the “Four Corners of the Law” the United States Post Office and Courthouse in Charleston is an important structure. A 1792 courthouse represents county government, while the City Hall, begun in 1800, symbolizes city government. St. Michael’s Church, built between 1752 and 1761, depicts ecclesiastical law. Completing the foursome is the 1896 Post Office, representing the federal government. Although nearly a century separates them, the Renaissance Revival structure is compatible with the three earlier buildings, and is an appropriate expression of the late nineteenth century. The architect for the building was Will A. Freret, who served as Supervising Architect of the Treasury in 1887 and 1888. Built of Winnsboro granite, the Post Office borrows elements from various Renaissance Revival styles. Dark and light stone heightens the contrast between the rusticated basement and first floors and quoining, and the smoother wall surfaces of the two upper stories. The main fašade is broken into five advancing and receding planes. A pedimented central block denotes the main entrance. Listed in the National Register August 13, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.