|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Battery Thomson, Charleston County (2013 Ion Ave., Sullivan’s Island)
|Gun Platform|| Gun Platform
|Armaments Section||Observation Post|
Battery Thomson, constructed 1906-1909 by Captain G.P. Howell, is one of a series of batteries extending from Fort Moultrie on the west to the eastern end of Sullivan’s Island. Charleston Harbor has always had some form of fixed harbor defense beginning with Fort Johnson in 1708 and culminating with the construction of these batteries in the fortification of Sullivan’s Island at the mouth of Charleston Harbor. This two, 10 inch gun, coastal defense battery was established in order to command the entrance to the Charleston harbor jetties. It was constructed following the recommendations of the Endicott Board under the Cleveland Administration. The battery, approximately 326 feet long and 84 feet wide, consists of two sections: The glacis and the armament complex. The glacis, a relatively smooth, slightly sloping area on the sides and front of the battery, protects the armament complex from bombardment. The armament complex consists of two recessed disappearing gun platforms, the loading platforms, ammunition hoists (one per gun), and observation post and various staircases and ramps for access. The ocean side of the battery is approximately 10 feet high. Walls and ceilings are of concrete. All machinery and guns were removed in 1947 at the decommissioning of the battery. Listed in the National Register June 25, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.