|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Arnoldus Vander Horst House, Charleston County (on Kiawah River, Kiawah Island)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Clapboard Detail|
(Kiawah House) Built for James Stanyarne ca. 1770, the Vander Horst house is an impressive example of late 18th century coastal architecture in the state and is one of the oldest remaining plantation houses on Kiawah Island. Of frame-and-clapboard construction, the Vander Horst house is a two-and-one-half story gable structure above a full arcaded ground floor of brick in Flemish bond. Projecting from the foundation of the south fašade is a five-bayed arcade which at one time carried a portico, running the breadth of the house and supported by attenuated Tuscan columns. The main story has a central entrance with large fan and sidelights, flanked by two formal windows to either side, corresponding to the five arches below. The roof supports three gabled dormers. James Stanyarne willed the house to his daughter, wife of Arnoldus Vander Horst, one time governor of the state. Vander Horst was a leading Federalist and influential statesman. He was born in Charleston and served there as Intendant from 1785-86 and again from 1790-92. He made the arrangements for President Washington’s visit to Charleston in 1791 and in 1794. He succeeded Charles Pinckney as Governor. Listed in the National Register October 25, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.