South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Saint Andrews Episcopal Church, Charleston County (S.C. Hwy. 61, Charleston vicinity)
S1081771006101 S1081771006102 S1081771006103 S1081771006104 S1081771006105
Facade Left Oblique Left Elevation Rear Elevation Right Elevation
S1081771006106 S1081771006107 S1081771006108    
Interior
Main Entrance
Interior
Altar
Interior
Moulding

(St. Andrews Parish Church) The present St. Andrews Episcopal Church building dates from 1764 and is cruciform in shape. The first church on site was built ca. 1708, enlarged in 1733, and burned in 1764 and probably rebuilt the same year. With passage of the Church Act in 1706 by the Colonial South Carolina Assembly, this church became one of the administrative centers of colonial government, serving as a place where proclamations and public notices were read and posted, vital statistics were recorded, poor relief was dispensed, and destitute orphans were apprenticed. The building maintains the architectural integrity of a rural colonial parish church of the 1760s. The use of cast and wrought iron in the balustrade of the alter rail and pulpit is unique. The main entrance is at the west end of the building at the base of the cross. The fašade consists of a six-panel double door. In the gable is a clear glass oculus with mullions. Facades of the nave consist of three 12/12 double sashed windows to each side, surmounted by semicircular fan windows. The sides of the transepts have the same type windows as does the nave: one window to a side and a total of four. The gable ends of the transept match the fašade of the base of the nave. The chancel contains a single 12/12 window with semicircular window in either side; the chancel fašade consists of a centrally placed, but raised, semicircular window. Quoins are located on all outer corners. The cornice at the eaves is denticulated. The nomination includes the cemetery and church school building. Listed in the National Register October 15, 1973.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.