South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Peter's Point Plantation, Charleston County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 764, Edisto Island)
S1081771005801 S1081771005802 S1081771005803 S1081771005804
Left Oblique Right Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation

(Isaac Jenkins Mikell House) The Mikell family arrived on Edisto Island before the close of the seventeenth century and were well-established planters before I. Jenkins Mikell built Peter’s Point plantation house in 1840. Situated overlooking St. Helena Sound at the junction of St. Pierre’s Creek and Fishing Creek, the house possesses a picturesque view and a commanding setting. The site also marks the point of Lafayette’s departure from the island in 1826. The architectural design of the structure combines the style of the early Edisto Island plantation home and the Greek Revival style of the Charleston area in this period. The two-story rectangular dwelling has a low gabled roof with a pedimented boxed cornice and two five-flue chimneys which are offset from the ridge of the roof. It is supported by a high foundation of brick and tabby. The front fašade is sheltered by a double piazza. Eight Tuscan columns of slender proportions are evenly spaced on both levels and support the double piazza. A balustrade encloses the piazzas of the fašade. Mikell, a Princeton graduate, became one of the wealthiest planters in South Carolina; however, he shunned political life, serving only as a magistrate and commissioner of the public schools of Edisto. One of his projects was the landscaping of the grounds surrounding the house. Listed in the National Register June 19, 1973.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.