|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Christ Church, Charleston County (U.S. Hwy. 17, Mount Pleasant vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
| Left Rear
(Christ Episcopal Church) Architecturally, Christ Church is representative of the continuous ingenuity displayed by a rural community in keeping its religious center operative. The original early colonial architecture has been adapted several times as the result of numerous events in the church’s long history which have necessitated reconstruction and improvement, but essentially its colonial architectural integrity has been maintained. This rectangular brick structure was built in 1726 for Christ Church Parish, which was established in 1706. Originally, double entrances were place in the north and south walls, each door being flanked by two windows to the west and one to the east. The east and west walls each contained three evenly spaced windows. Construction was a continuous process, and before the Revolutionary War several additions and alterations were made. The church was burned by retreating British soldiers in 1782. The solid brick walls survived the fire and restoration of the interior, roof, and woodwork was undertaken in 1787. It was then that the first cupola was added. Towards the close of the Civil War a company of Union cavalry used the church as a stable and the interior was wrecked. All that remained were four walls and a roof. Repairs were completed in 1874. In 1961 the wings were added on each side of the chancel as a sacristy and a rector’s office. Listed in the National Register November 27, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.