South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Rockville Historic District, Charleston County (Rockville)
S1081771004601 S1081771004602 S1081771004603 S1081771004604 S1081771004605
Joseph LaRoche
John F.
Townsend House
T. Ladson
Webb House
Windmill Old Episcopal
S1081771004606 S1081771004607 S1081771004608 S1081771004609 S1081771004610
Perry House Micah Jenkins
Maj. Daniel Jenkins
Fanny Wilson
John Sosnowski
S1081771004611 S1081771004612 S1081771004613 S1081771004614 S1081771004615
Mary A.
Whaley House
Grace Episcopal
W. E. Jenkins
S1081771004616 S1081771004617 S1081771004618    
Welches Lane
Edward D.
Bailey House

Rockville, one of Charleston County’s oldest surviving summer resorts (ca. 1824), is important architecturally, agriculturally, militarily and in the areas of transportation and recreation. This summer community’s serene, slow-moving, lifestyle is reflected in its architecture and landscape. Although houses vary in size and degree of architectural importance, nearly all have spacious porches, raised foundations, and large central hallways designed for summer comfort and relaxation. The buildings within Rockville’s Historic District have obvious visual unity. All are well ventilated to take full advantage of sea breezes. Several houses appear to have been year-round residences with architecture adapted for cold weather but still well-ventilated for summer use. The district also includes two churches. Live oaks draped with Spanish moss and palmettos dominate the landscape and add to the quaint atmosphere of the community. Listed in the National Register June 13, 1972.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Rockville Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.