|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Fenwick Hall, Charleston County (U.S. Hwy. 17, John’s Island)
Erected in 1730, with an octagonal wing added about 1787, Fenwick Hall is the finest surviving example of an early Georgian two-story brick plantation house built on the Huguenot floor plan that was widely used in South Carolina plantation houses during the 18th century. The magnificent paneled interiors of this house are equal to those of Maryland and Virginia plantation houses constructed during the same period. The house was built for John Fenwick, a wealthy South Carolina planter, in 1730. In 1787 it was purchased by his cousin, John Gibbes, who altered it somewhat. The house was used as headquarters by the commanding officers of invading armies during both the Revolution and the Civil War, and thus survived both conflicts without serious damage. In 1931 the house was restored by Victor Morawta of New York City. Fenwick Hall is a two-story structure over a high basement with a decked hipped roof surrounded by a balustrade. The brick walls are laid in Flemish bond, with corners marked by brick quoins. Added in 1931 were a one-story verandah at the east end and a small two-story brick wing at the west end. A detached two-story brick flanker, built to the west about 1850 as a coach house and stables has been converted to a garage. The matching east flanker has disappeared; its site is occupied by a formal 18th century garden laid out in 1931. Listed in the National Register February 23, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.