South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

College of Charleston, Charleston County (Charleston)
S1081771004401 S1081771004402 S1081771004403 S1081771004404 S1081771004405
Main Building
Facade
Main Building
Left Oblique
Main Building
Left Elevation
Main Building
Left Rear
Oblique
Main Building
Rear Elevation
Portico
S1081771004406 S1081771004407 S1081771004408 S1081771004409 S1081771004410
Main Building
Right Rear
Oblique
Main Building
Right Elevation
Library
Facade
Library
Left Oblique
Library
Left Elevation
S1081771004411 S1081771004412 S1081771004413 S1081771004414 S1081771004415
Library
Rear Elevation
Library
Right Rear
Oblique
Library
Right Elevation
Library
Right Oblique
Gate Lodge
Facade
S1081771004416 S1081771004417 S1081771004418 S1081771004419  
Gate Lodge
Left Oblique
Gate Lodge
Left Elevation
Gate Lodge
Rear Elevation
Gate Lodge
Right Elevation

The historic campus of the College of Charleston contains three structures, the Main Building, the Library, and Gate Lodge, situated in an attractive setting of evergreen oaks, that achieve a certain degree of unity by means of the prevailing Pompeian red coloring of their stuccoed walls. The Main Building, designed by William Strickland and built in 1828-29, was a simple, rectangular two-story over elevated basement brick structure with a pedimented three bay wide projecting pavilion on the south (main) fašade and gable ends on the east and west sides. In 1850 Edward B. White added large two-story brick and stucco wings to the east and west sides and the present grandiose colossal portico, with six giant Roman Ionic pillars and arcaded basement, to the center of the main fašade. In 1930 the west wing was extended to reach College Street. The Gate Lodge, also designed by White and built in 1852, is a rectangular two-story brick and stucco structure in the Roman Revival style. Four giant pillars of the Tuscan order rise to support the pediment that extends across the entire street fašade of the structure. The Library, constructed in 1854-56 and designed by George Edward Walker, is a two-story brick structure in the mid-nineteenth century Classical Revival style with Italianate details, quoins, and round-headed windows. Inside, a central reading room rises two stories and is surrounded by a gallery. Listed in the National Register November 11, 1971; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 11, 1971.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.