|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Citizens and Southern National Bank of South Carolina, Charleston County
(50 Broad St., Charleston)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Left Elevation|
Significant in the commercial history of Charleston and the nation, the building was built as a bank and was used as such from 1798 to 1835, a role assumed again in 1966 when Citizens and Southern National Bank acquired the property. It is believed to be the oldest building built for a bank now in use as a bank in the United States. From 1835 to 1916 the building housed the Charleston Library Society, one of the oldest in the nation; and from 1916 to 1966 housed the Charleston Chamber of Commerce, also one of the oldest in the nation. The two-story, red brick building has limestone trim over windows and doors, a hipped roof and a T-shaped floor plan. The first floor fašade of extending center wing features a pair of stepped arch windows on either side of double, three-panel door with fanlight. The second floor level fašade has three stepped arch windows and is surmounted by a triangular pediment with semi-circular fanlight. The reception room has original carved woodwork, original black and white marble tile floor, and graceful cluster columns. The interior arch of the main doorway has a bas-relief carving of eagles. The iron grillwork fence was copied from ca. 1868 photographs of the original fence which was destroyed by the 1886 earthquake. The driveways on the east and west sides of the building were converted into small gardens typical of the charming courtyard gardens for which Charleston is noted. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.