|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Simmons-Edwards House, Charleston County (12-14 Legare St., Charleston)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Left Oblique|
Built ca. 1800 by Francis Simmons, this three-story house with raised basement is done in the Federal style. The two-story piazza located on the side of the house is typical of many Charleston dwellings during this period. Brick composition is Flemish bond and house has brick quoins at each of its corners. First floor colonnade has stylized unfluted Corinthian columns. Second floor colonnade has segmental arches and the roof over the piazza is denticulated. Basement is arcaded under the piazza. Entrance door has small denticulated cornice over a transom. Roof is hipped with three dormers on each side of the house while one faces the street and rear of the house. In 1816, George Edwards purchased the property and enlarged the premises, creating a garden which was separated from the house yard by a notable fence of wrought iron which had unusual stuccoed columns topped with sandstone balls. The house has extensive outbuildings connected to the main house at its rear. Listed in the National Register January 25, 1971; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 7, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.