South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Sword Gate Houses, Charleston County (32 Legare St. & 111 Tradd St., Charleston)
S1081771002901 S1081771002902 S1081771002903 S1081771002904 S1081771002905
Brick Wing
Brick Wing
Left Oblique
Brick Wing
Right Oblique
Brick Wing
Window Detail
Sword Gate

Erected in two stages, this brick and frame house is now subdivided into two separate residences. Frame section has original address of 32 Legare Street and retains the name of Sword Gates. The frame section is believed to have been built around 1803, possibly by French Huguenots James LaRoche and J. Lardent. The home was bought and redecorated in 1849 by British Consul George A. Hopley, the same year the Sword Gates were installed in the high brick wall in front of the frame portion of house. The tall wrought iron gates are decorated with elaborate scrolls and leafage. Each half has a central cross formed by point of two vertical spears meeting in center of horizontally placed broadsword. The gates were manufactured by Christopher Werner of Charleston. The frame portion has undergone many late 19th century additions and alterations. The brick wing has retained its architectural integrity and is believed to have been added ca. 1818, acquired by Madame Talvaude, and used as a girls school. The building is two and a half stories over a high basement, with a slate covered hip roof. There are three pedimented dormers along the north and one on the west. The brick walls are covered with stucco; cornice is also stucco. First floor windows have exterior paneled shutters and second story shutters are louvered. Listed in the National Register December 18, 1970.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.