South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Colonel John Stuart House, Charleston County (104-106 Tradd St., Charleston)
S1081771002701 S1081771002702
Facade Left Oblique

Colonel John Stuart was appointed the King’s Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Southern District in 1762. By 1765 he obtained full imperial status for his department and was active in handling the Indian affairs of East and West Florida. In 1770 he was named “councillor extraordiary” to advise the governors of Virginia, the provinces and their boards on Indian affairs. Stuart was arrested early in June 1775 on the charge of attempting to incite the Catawba and Cherokee in the British interest. He fled from Lady’s Island to Florida, where he remained until his death in 1779. John Stuart built the three-story frame residence about 1772. The house has a hipped roof, captain’s walk, and one interior chimney. The narrow south fašade is flush boarded and the other elevations are clapboarded. First and second story windows in the narrow fašade are flanked with dog-ear trim and crowned with bracketed triangular pediments. The fanlighted entrance is located on the left bay of the front elevation. Its frontispiece is highlighted by Corinthian pilasters and a denticulated pediment. The two-story piazza along the west side was added in the 19th century. Bedroom and service additions of two stories were also added at a later period. Listed in the National Register October 22, 1970; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 7, 1973.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.