|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William Gibbes House, Charleston County (64 S. Battery, Charleston)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Right Oblique||Main Entrance|
|Window Detail||Pediment Detail|
The William Gibbes House, built sometime shortly after 1772, and redecorated in 1794, is one of the finest two-story frame residences in America. The grandeur of its classical Georgian elevation is rivaled by the elegance of its very sophisticated Adamesque interiors, featuring richly carved wooden elements, fireplaces and mantles, plaster ceilings, and a dramatic upper floor ballroom, all integrated into the well-known Charleston “double-house” floor plan. The house is built upon a high English basement of carefully distressed stone. The carefully modulated rhythms of the consummately robust Georgian fašade are highlighted by triangular forms and by a series of consoles. The elevation is centered on an attic story triangular pediment which itself is centered on the triangular pediment of the door surround. The latter is part of a perfectly proportioned little aedicule, composed of four wooden pilasters, the triangular pediment, with mutules, and a carefully carved frieze with triglyphs and guttae. The modillions at the cornice level are carried around all sides of the building, and the building is roofed by a tiled hipped roof. The double staircase is graced by a fine iron rail, the whole of this approach being added about 1794. The Gibbes House has the usual Georgian four-room double pile floor plan, known in Charleston simply as a double house. Listed in the National Register April 15, 1970; Designated a National Historic Landmark April 15, 1970.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.