South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Exchange and Provost, Charleston County (E. Bay & Broad Sts., Charleston)
S1081771001001 S1081771001002 S1081771001003 S1081771001004 S1081771001005
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Front
Right Rear
S1081771001006 S1081771001007 S1081771001008 S1081771001009 S1081771001010
Rear Elevation Rear Elevation Left Rear
Left Rear
Olbique Detail
Left Elevation
S1081771001011 S1081771001012 S1081771001013    
Left Oblique Main Entrance
and Pediment
Window Detail

The Exchange and Provost Building, built 1767-1771, served during the last quarter of the 18th century as a customhouse, public market, public meeting place, military prison and barracks. Confiscated tea was stored here in 1774, and the Provincial Congress of South Carolina met here in the same year. The British used the exchange as a barracks and military prison from 1780 to 1782, during the American Revolution. President George Washington was welcomed on the steps of this building when he visited Charleston on his southern tour of 1791. The structure was badly damaged by Union artillery fire during the Civil War and again by the great earthquake of 1886. Repaired after each occasion the Exchange was used for Federal office purposes until 1913 when an act of Congress deed the building to the Daughters of the American Revolution in and of the State of South Carolina to be preserved by them as a historical monument. The building is a large two-story over elevated basement brick structure of Georgian design. It has a hipped roof and three-bay wide projecting and pedimented central pavilions on the east and west elevations. The windows are of London crown glass, decorations of Portland stone, and the roof of Welsh Carnarvon slate. Listed in the National Register December 17, 1969; Designated a National Historic Landmark November 7, 1973.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.