|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Miles Brewton House, Charleston County (27 King St., Charleston)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
The Miles Brewton House (ca. 1765-1769) is one of the most distinguished town houses of the American colonial period, and the most outstanding of Charleston’s “double houses.” It is one of the few Palladian buildings undertaken in the South by direct influence of the Italian himself. The classical detailing is exquisitely correct, and raises the exterior form to a level of accomplishment very seldom reached by any American Palladian building. Particularly in the two-story portico with its superposed Doric and Ionic orders carved from Portland stone, its finely proportioned pediment with oval window, and its beautifully incised frieze and architrave, do we realize the splendor that this house offers. The interiors of the house are of the finest quality, and together with its Palladian authenticity, make it one of America’s most distinguished late-Georgian feats of architecture. Just north of the house stands a crenellated gate house, and then in order running east to west are an attached porticoed kitchen/slave quarters building, a connecting arcade, a two-story pavilion, another arcade, and finally a small square outbuilding that may have served any of a number of domestic functions. Directly behind the house, the formal garden of the eighteenth century retains its layout, and against the back wall, about 500 feet west of King St., stand four stone columns which are said to have been part of the original boat landing when the property extended through to Legare Street. Listed in the National Register October 15, 1966; Designated a National Historic Landmark October 9, 1960.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.