|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Zante Plantation, Calhoun County (off U.S. Hwy. 601, Fort Motte vicinity)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique||Rear Elevation||Right Rear Oblique|
|Dormer Detail||Main Entrance|| Interior
Zante Plantation is a two and one-half story frame structure with Federal details built upon a stucco-over-brick foundation approximately seven feet high. It is not known exactly when Zante was constructed, however architectural analysis suggests its having been completed between 1810 and 1820. The house is an example of the progression of the Carolina upcountry farmhouse from a simple cottage to a more imposing structure. Both front and rear facades have one-story porches, and square wooden columns support the front porch. Simple wooden steps lead to the front entranceway. A large dormer window with sidelights and a central fan medallion is located on the gable roof, directly above the entrance. The entrance is flanked by pilasters, sidelights, and a fanlight above. The eaves of the roof are slightly extended with dentil moldings. The roof is tin. The wide central hall features an elliptical arch and terminates in a stairway with three flights. The interior displays delicate paneling and moldings, feather-grained baseboards, and door and window jambs with fluted pilasters and corner medallions. Several original outbuildings remain on the property. Zante has been the home of several prominent South Carolinians, its history reaching as far back as the late eighteenth century when Peter Manigault, Speaker of the Commons House of Assembly, acquired the property. After the Revolutionary War, Major William Elnathan Haskell, of the Massachusetts Continental line, settled in South Carolina, marrying into one of the state’s most noted families, the Thomson’s. In 1851, Zante became the property of the Trezevant family, another of the state’s most prominent early families. Listed in the National Register June 29, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.