|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Puritan Farm, Calhoun County (St. Matthews vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Rear Oblique|| Interior
| Well Site
(Keitt-Whaley-Pearlstine House) This house is an excellent example of an Upcountry farmhouse, or original I-House, in the lower part of the state. It combines several features of the Greek Revival style, particularly in the interior detail. Of four large plantation houses in the general area, Puritan Farm is the only one not destroyed by fire. The house is a large white two-story clapboard frame structure with a pedimented second floor porch addition and two connecting rear wings, all set upon a raised basement. The fašade presents two deeply separated vertical planes, a porch extends across the entire first-story front and rests upon the raised basement, and six square columns support its sloping roof. Two parallel gable roofs over the rear wings and the gabled roof of the pedimented second story porch offset the gabled roof of the main two-story front section of the house. The main block of the house is one-room deep with a central hall on each floor. All mantels are original. The Reverend Jacob Wannamaker built the home between 1820 and 1825 for Dr. and Mrs. George Keitt. The house also was the residence of Congressman Lawrence M. Keitt, a leader of the South Carolina secessionist movement. Keitt was born in this house in 1824 and maintained it as his residence until his death in 1864. One of the original outbuildings, the plantation commissary, is still standing. Listed in the National Register July 25, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.