|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Oakland Plantation, Calhoun County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 1, Fort Motte vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|| Right Elevation
Built around 1800, Oakland is significant as an excellent example of a raised cottage, typical of the early nineteenth century houses built in lowcountry South Carolina. The one-and-one half story clapboard house remains as originally designed except for two flanking wings, set back from the fašade. The house sits on a brick foundation and has an enclosed basement. A medium gable roof extends over the front porch, supported by six square columns and featuring a wooden balustrade with latticework (added in the 1880s) and shiplap walls. The sills are hand-hewn pine, at least 18 inches wide, and extend the length and breadth of the house without piecing. The front entrance is flanked on either side by full-length French windows, lengthened from multi-paned windows. The rear portico has been enclosed and is used as a sun porch. A wide central hall runs the length of the house and is divided by a spindlework screen, added in the late nineteenth century. A local political leader and grandson of a Revolutionary War hero, William Sabb Thomson, originally inhabited Oakland Plantation House. Thomson served as state senator from the Parish of St. Matthews from 1830-34. A typical planter of the early nineteenth century, he was educated by tutors and was a member of a family that owned several plantations (including Midway) in Calhoun County, then part of Orangeburg District. Oakland is still surrounded by farmland, and the house and one outbuilding, the original kitchen, are situated on a one-acre lot. Listed in the National Register May 30, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.