|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Colonel Olin M. Dantzler House, Calhoun County (412 E. Bridge St., St. Matthews)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Rear Elevation|| Interior
(Crutchfield House) The Dantzler House is the oldest standing residence in St. Matthews. It is an excellent representative of Southern antebellum summerhouse construction and has been admirably adapted as a permanent residence. This one-story raised cottage with truncated, hipped roof was constructed ca.1850 as a seasonal residence for the Jacob M. Dantzler family of Orangeburg County. As originally built, the house was rectangular with identical side facades. The original cypress shingle roof has been covered with galvanized metal. The house sits seven feet above ground upon brick pilings with lattice framework between the supports. The northern fašade has wooden steps leading to a piazza with flat roof supported by six square paneled columns. In 1852 Olin Miller Dantzler, son of Jacob Dantzler, married and moved into this summerhouse as his permanent residence. Though a planter by profession in the Orangeburg district, Olin Dantzler served his state and country both politically and militarily. As a member of the South Carolina Senate in 1858, Dantzler tried to convince his fellow legislators that peaceful compromise was better than a military confrontation between the North and South. He offered several compromise proposals, but eventually joined the Confederate forces, though he was strongly opposed to the war. Several outbuildings, including a barn, several sheds, visitors’ cottage and a pigeon house are included on the acreage. Listed in the National Register March 30, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.