|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Calhoun County Library, Calhoun County (Railroad Ave., St. Matthews)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Left Elevation|| Interior
As one of St. Matthews’ oldest buildings, the Calhoun County Library is significant for its pleasing Greek Revival architectural proportions and its creative use as a public library and museum. The one-story, medium-gabled white clapboard structure was originally built in 1877 as a residence and has been adapted for use since 1949 as a county library. The front fašade features a three-bay, square-columned entrance porch, and extending from the left and right wings are two smaller porches of similar design that enhance the building’s symmetry. An L-shaped porch with unadorned square columns extends across the left elevation, a portion of which has been enclosed to meet additional space requirements of the library. It is an excellent example of the adaptive use of a residential structure in an increasingly commercial district. The main entrance is a four-panel double-door with sidelights and fanlight that fill the library’s reading room with abundant natural light. The building sits on a spacious lot near the center of St. Matthews in the original residential district. Listed in the National Register May 29, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.