South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Colonel J. A. Banks House, Calhoun County (104 Dantzler St., St. Matthews)
S1081770900201 S1081770900202 S1081770900203 S1081770900204 S1081770900205
Facade
ca. 1980
Right Oblique
ca. 1980
Left Oblique
ca. 1980
Left Rear Oblique
ca. 1980
Rear Elevation
ca. 1980
S1081770900206 S1081770900207 S1081770900208 S1081770900209 S1081770900210
Right Elevation
ca. 1980
Main Entrance
ca. 1980
Porch Detail
Corinthian Capital
ca. 1980
Interior
Central Hall
Interior
First Floor
Room
S1081770900211 S1081770900212      
Interior
First Floor
Room
Right Oblique
Renovated

The Colonel J.A. Banks house was built ca.1893 as a residence for South Carolina State Representative and State Senator Col. J. A. Banks, and rebuilt in 1909-1910. According to an early photograph, the original house was one-story with a gable roof, two interior chimneys, and a porch spanning the breadth of the fašade. With the 1909-1910 remodeling, the house took its present form. The house is significant both as a free interpretation of Classical and Victorian elements, and for its association with a locally prominent individual. This unique house was composed in the exuberant fashion common to the early twentieth century. The building incorporates certain features of the residual Queen Anne style - the asymmetrical plan, the variegated roofline, and multiple textures. Significant architectural features include: two Neo-Classical colossal Corinthian porticos; the juxtaposition of the colossal order with the lesser Ionic order on the fašade; the concave recess of the second floor fašade balcony, in response to the convex colossal portico; the gable pediments with Palladian windows; the elliptical arch of the stair hall; and the original leaded and beveled windows and mirrors. Two one-story, weatherboarded outbuildings are included in the nominated property: a fowl house and a workshop. Listed in the National Register January 24, 1980.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.