|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Dean Hall, Berkeley County
Architecturally and historically significant as well as a fine example of landscape architecture, Dean Hall Plantation was settled prior to 1725 by Alexander Nisbett of Dean, Scotland. The estate was sold in 1821 to William Augustus Carson who built the house from brick made at Medway Plantation across the river. Carson developed the rice plantation to the extent that it was said to have resembled “a well ordered village” rather than a single plantation. In 1909, Dean Hall came under the ownership of Benjamin Rufus Kittredge. It was Kittredge who modernized the old house and planted the renowned Cyprus Gardens, one of Charleston’s three nationally acclaimed gardens, open to the public since 1930. Architecturally, the house is distinctive in that its unusual encircling piazza enabled the owner to keep an eye on the work in the rice fields, his upland plantings, or the slave quarters. The house is a spacious, one-and-one-half story house built over a raised basement which has an arcaded exterior wall. The service rooms, kitchens, and storerooms were located in the basement, behind the arcaded area. The roof line is a medium cross gable flanked front and rear with dormers. Divided fanlights are set in the front and rear gables. Listed in the National Register April 7, 1971. Dean Hall has since been moved. Removed from the National Register October 7, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.