|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Richmond Plantation, Berkeley County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 402, Cordesville vicinity)
|Facade|| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation|| Rear Central
| Left Rear
|Chimney Detail|| Interior
(Girl Scout Plantation) Richmond Plantation includes a manor house and outbuildings constructed ca.1927 as a hunting lodge for George A. Ellis. The property also contains a cemetery and archeological features associated with an eighteenth and nineteenth century rice plantation owned by John Harleston (1733-1793). The manor house and outbuildings are historically important for their association with Ellis, a prominent New York financier and co-founder of E.F. Hutton. The complex is also significant as an example of the phenomenon of the purchase and development of nonproductive southern plantations by wealthy northerners in the years between 1890 and 1940. The manor house, designed by the New York architectural firm of Clinton and Russell, is significant as an example of an American interpretation of the Shavian Manor Style, a style defined by the neo-medieval work of the English architect Richard Norman Shaw. This style is characterized by the high-pitched slate roof and the broad brick chimney stacks which dominate the low masonry mass of the building. The asymmetrical manor house is a 1 ½ story building with a rectangular central mass, and two single story wings, each set at an angle 15° north of the longitudinal axis of the central block. Brickwork is common bond, and the bricks may have been salvaged from a Charleston theatre. The manor house features two massive brick chimneys that hold iron masks, purportedly representing King Charles I of England in a grotesque grimace. Four outbuildings also in the Shavian Manorial Style, a carriage house, dog house, guest house and gate house, are also located on the property. A one story log house, three one-story frame cabins, a cemetery and archaeological features of the original plantation also remain. In 1963 the property was sold to the Low Country Girl Scout Council, who maintains it as a camp. Listed in the National Register November 24, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.