|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Pinopolis Historic District South, Berkeley County (Pinopolis)
|John Tyler House||John Grant House|| Pinopolis Methodist
| Lewis H.
|House, ca. 1920|
| Harriet C.
| Edward O.
|Old Rectory|| Dr. Morton
| Martha M.
|House, ca. 1910|| Dr. Morton
Pinopolis Historic District South, which contains thirteen properties, consists of the historic core of the planters retreat community of Pinopolis. The district contains numerous early to middle nineteenth century summer houses, the Gothic Revival influenced Pinopolis Methodist Church (ca.1900), and other later nineteenth century buildings. The buildings of the Pinopolis Historic District South are representative of the development of vernacular building forms and construction technology of the nineteenth century. The absence of stylistic pretensions in most of the buildings is typical of pineland village architecture. Beginning in the late eighteenth century lowcountry planters sought respite near their plantations, in resorts like Pinopolis, from the fevers associated with the lowlands in the summer. With the decline of the planter classes after the war, many resort villages turned to commercial ventures for their livelihood, however this was not the case in Pinopolis. Preferring to preserve the quiet community atmosphere of their village, the residents of Pinopolis blocked several proposals that would have attracted development. This decision helped Pinopolis retain its integrity as a pineland village. The district’s properties also include some outbuildings. Listed in the National Register August 19, 1982.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Pinopolis Historic District South.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Pinopolis, ca. 1834-ca. 1920 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.