|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Pinopolis Historic District North, Berkeley County (Pinopolis)
|Isaac Porcher House|| Charles Macbeth
|William Cain House||Lucas House|
Pinopolis Historic District North, which consists of four contributing and three non-contributing properties, includes four of the nineteenth century retreats that helped to engender Pinopolis. The vernacular houses are uniformly of frame construction and abstain from the stylistic pretensions of the permanent planters’ seats of the period in accord with their status as houses of retreat. Beginning in the late eighteenth century lowcountry planters sought respite near their plantations, in resorts like Pinopolis, from the fevers associated with the lowlands in the summer. With the decline of the planter classes after the war, many resort villages turned to commercial ventures for their livelihood, however this was not the case in Pinopolis. Preferring to preserve the quiet community atmosphere of their resort village, the residents of Pinopolis blocked several proposals that would have attracted development. This decision helped Pinopolis retain its integrity as a pineland village. The buildings in the district date from ca.1834 to ca.1883 and retain in large measure their original forms and features. The district’s landscape is unified by the absence of contemporary buildings, heavy foliage, the absence of paved roads, and the cohesiveness of the four residences which are weatherboarded with large porches. The district’s properties also include some outbuildings. Listed in the National Register August 19, 1982.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Pinopolis Historic District North.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Pinopolis, ca. 1834-ca. 1920 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.