|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lewisfield Plantation, Berkeley County (U.S. Hwy. 52, Moncks Corner vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
Lewisfield Plantation, once called Little Landing, was purchased in 1767 by Sedgewick Lewis. Through marriage Keating Simons became the owner and built the plantation house near a landing on the Cooper River ca.1774. With its wide veranda, raised basement, and central hall, the Lewisfield Plantation house is typical of many plantation residences in this region of South Carolina. The two-and-one-half story clapboard dwelling is supported by a high brick foundation that encloses a raised basement. The fašade consists of a veranda which is five bays wide. The veranda is enclosed by a balustrade and supported by six slender Doric columns. The house is a fine example of the influence of West Indian architecture in this area of the state. Lifting the house from the ground and shading it from the sun, the raised basement and wide veranda provide a comfortable residence, well suited for the low-lying land of the Coastal Plain. Other features such as high ceilings and many windows all combine to alleviate the discomfort caused by the hot summer climate of the area. A Revolutionary War skirmish occurred directly in front of the house when Colonel Wade Hampton surprised a British force that had stopped at Lewisfield Plantation to await a paroled prisoner of war, Keating Simons. Listed in the National Register May 9, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.