|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lawson's Pond Plantation, Berkeley County (off S.C. Hwy. 6, Cross vicinity)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique||Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
|Main Entrance|| Interior
Lawson’s Pond is a large two-story clapboard structure set upon high foundations, with a one-story piazza along the front and left facades. Built ca. 1823, it is similar in type or style to neighboring structures which together represent a regional type or style of architecture that developed in the St. John’s area. This type or style is characterized by two single front doors and a hipped roof. Of the remaining structures of this type or style, Lawson’s Pond possesses the most elaborate details, namely classically inspired details such as fluted pilasters, Greek key and sunburst motifs, dentils, and marbleized interior features. The residences of large planters who were closely connected in terms of social and economic mores, these structures remain as evidence of a particular lifestyle. In 1818, at the time of the inventory of the estate of Philip Porcher, Lawson’s Pond was a working plantation with numerous slaves and farm animals. Although no plantation house was located there at the time, the total worth of the plantation was valued at $42,908. Philip Porcher left the plantation to his son, Charles Cordes Porcher. In 1823 Charles C. Porcher married Rebecca C. Marion and apparently built the present structure at that time. Architecturally, Lawson’s Pond is the most elegant of the remaining structures, having detailed carving and elegant proportions. Listed in the National Register December 13, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.